Who is responsible?

Responsibility for repairs to your home is shared between you and your Landlord.

Our Responsibilities – Work the Landlord is responsible for

Your Responsibilities – Tasks you the tenant are responsible for

Repairs you must pay for

If damage is caused by you, by someone in your home, or by authorities gaining entry, you must either pay for the repairs or do the work yourself ensuring it is to a satisfactory standard. You may be able to claim for accidental damage through your Home Contents Insurance.

Home Contents Insurance

We strongly recommend that you take out home contents insurance. The landlord will have buildings insurance for the property, but this does not include loss or damage to your belongings due to theft, fire or flooding.

If you have home contents insurance, you may be able to make a claim for the cost of stolen items following a break-in, or damage to personal belongings, furniture and other household items caused by fire or flood damage. It is your responsibility to check what the policy covers, and to check if it covers you for accidental damage to personal and household items. Accidental damage cover includes things like broken glass and replacing door and window locks.

Landlord responsibilities

The landlord is responsible for maintenance and repairs to the structure and outside of your home, and for any fixtures and fittings provided when you moved in. This responsibility covers fair wear and tear only. Any damage caused by you, someone in your home, police forced entry, or a break-in, are repairs you must pay for.

Inside your home

The landlord is responsible for the structure of your home, including repairs to water, gas and drainage pipes, electrical wiring, power and light fittings, and the heating system. They are also responsible for any household items that were provided.

Outside your home

We are responsible for the structure of your home, including the windows, doors, gutters, drains, walls and roof. We are also responsible for the main path that leads to your front or back door, for any fence or walls (provided by us) that border a public highway and for any brick built garage or shed owned by us.

Communal or shared areas

The landlord or the property management company are responsible for maintaining any communal areas or facilities that are part of the propoerty, including communal stairs, communal TV aerials, communal rotary driers and lifts. They are also responsible for any open area around your home.

Gas Safety Checks

If you can SMELL GAS… call TRANSCO free on 0800 111 999

It is a legal requirement for all landlords to carry out a gas safety inspection every 12 months. If your home has a gas supply, we will arrange for a GasSafe registered engineer to carry out the safety check. This would normally be organised by Cavendish Dean or the Landlord direct.

Under the Tenancy Agreement, you must allow us into your home to carry out the safety check. This is for your own safety. If you do not let us in, you could be putting your health and safety at risk, and we may take court action to gain access to your home.

Your responsibilities

To help us carry out our responsibilities, we ask you to:

Contact us as soon as you notice a repair is needed, and take action to prevent it getting worse, this can be done via this website 24/7, via the phone or email. Give us as much information about the repair as possible – this will help us to get your repair fixed quickly, Allow tradesmen into your home to carry out repairs, safety checks or inspections.

Things you are responsible for ...

You are expected to do these things yourself, or arrange and pay to get them done through Cavendish Dean or a reputable tradesperson:

Decorating and internal fittings, you are responsible for:

  • Decorating the inside of your home to a reasonable standard,
  • Filling minor cracks or holes in the walls,
  • Fitting curtain rails, pelmets, picture rails and coat hooks.
  • As part of the Tenancy agreement you must return the stage or the décor to its original condition.

Regarding doors, windows and locks, you are responsible for:

  • Getting in if you are locked out,
  • Replacing door and window locks or keys when you get locked out,
  • Getting extra door or window keys cut,
  • Replacing window keys when keys are lost or stolen,
  • Replacing window or door glass, unless you can provide us with a police crime reference number (not an incident number),
  • Fitting door knockers or bells, door chains, handles or letterboxes,
  • Fitting additional locks to windows, doors or cupboards,
  • Repairing damaged internal doors, or adjusting internal doors when you have fitted carpets or laminate flooring.

Regarding electrical items, you are responsible for:

  • Replacing plug fuses, light bulbs, florescent tubes and starters,
  • Resetting trip switches,
  • Testing and cleaning smoke detectors, and replacing batteries in battery-operated detectors

Regarding the bathroom and kitchen, you are responsible for:

  • Keeping all drains, sinks, baths and toilets clear
  • Replacing toilet seats, bath, basin and sink plugs and chains,
  • Changing tap washers
  • De-scaling shower heads,
  • Connecting wastes and pipework for washing machines and dishwashers, and vents for tumble driers.

Regarding outside, you are responsible for:

  • Replacing clothes lines and posts (except in communal areas),
  • Maintaining general garden paths (except the main one that leads to your front or back door), and any other garden features,
  • Keeping gully grids clear of leaves and rubbish.

Regarding other things you are responsible for:

  • Replacing TV aerials and sockets, unless supplied by us,
  • Fit, repair and maintain any fixture or appliance you own,
  • Repairing any alterations or improvements you have made to your home,
  • Getting chimneys swept if used for open fires,
  • Removing all rubbish from your house and garden,
  • Clearing up and replacing goods after a break-in or theft,
  • Take action to prevent condensation,
  • Arranging treatment for pest control problems, such as mice, rats, fleas or wasp nests.

Repairs you must pay for...

Our responsibility to carry out repairs covers fair wear and tear only. Damage that is not caused by normal wear and tear is your responsibility.

Examples of repairs you must pay for are:

  • Forcing entry and lock change, if you lose your keys or lock yourself out of your property,
  • Repairing or replacing any fixtures and fittings,
  • Replacing window or door glass,
  • Clearing blockages to toilets, sinks, basins, baths, etc,
  • Removing rubbish from your home or garden.